Are you ready for some zombie goodness on this fine Tuesday, my bookish friends? I certainly hope so, since that's exactly what I have to offer today. My ongoing joke is that I'll only run if there are zombies chasing after me. Well, in the case of Undead Ultra, that's exactly Kate and Frederico's motivation. Camille Picott has meshed together the ultramarathon, with the walking dead. Intrigued? Read on.
Undead: a reanimated corpse with a craving for human flesh.
Ultramarathon: any footrace longer than a traditional marathon (26.2 miles).
For ultrarunners Kate and Frederico, a typical Saturday morning is spent pounding out a twenty- to thirty-mile “fun run.” It’s during one of their runs that an insidious illness descends upon northern California, turning humans into flesh-shredding zombies. When Kate receives a desperate call from her son, Carter, she and Frederico flee their hometown and set out to help him. The only problem? Carter attends college over two hundred miles away and the freeways—clogged with car wrecks, zombies, and government blockades—are impassable. Running back roads and railroad tracks becomes their only means of travel, but neither of them has ever run so far before. As pain, injuries, hunger, and fatigue plague them, getting to Carter and staying alive seem impossible. It’s either outrun the undead or become one of them, and for Kate, death is not an option.
Jessica here! I asked Camille Picott to share with us some of her favorite zombie related books. Happily, she also added in some tv shows for us to devour! (Pun totally intended.) Enjoy!
I could list out 10 zombie books, but most of them are in series. I decided to combine my favorite series, movies, and TV shows in this list, just for fun. Because zombies are fun!
1. As the World Dies (series by Rhiannon Frater)
2. White Trash Zombie (series by Diane Rowland)
3. The Walking Dead (TV show)
4. This is Not A Test (novel by Courtney Summers)
5. Last Bastion of the Living (series by Rhiannon Frater)
6. Married with Zombies (series by Jesse Peterson)
7. Shaun of the Dead (movie)
8. Warm Bodies (movie)
9. World War Z (novel by Max Brooks – the book and the movie were so drastically different I can’t believe they shared the title!)
10. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (novel by by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith)
11. Zombie Rules (sorry, could not resist adding one more – series by David Achord)
Camille Picott has been writing novels since she was twelve. When she’s not working on a book, spending time with family, or whipping up a new vegetarian meal, you can find her trail running in Sonoma County, California.
Tour hosted by: