Hello dear readers! Guess who is in for a treat today? Yes, YOU! Lisa Stasse, author of The Forsaken, is here today with a guest post and a giveaway. You heard it right. You get to learn more about her and enter for you chance to take home a copy of the book!
A thought-provoking and exciting start to a riveting new dystopian trilogy.
As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.
The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.
There you have it. Intrigued? Enjoy Lisa Stasse's awesome guest post below, and make sure to head on down to the bottom and enter to win!
WATCHING SOME TV SHOWS WITH LISA M. STASSE
(author of The Forsaken, available now from Simon & Schuster)
So I realized I'd written a lot about books and music in some of my guest posts for other blogs, but for some reason I'd never got around to talking about TV shows. I should mention that I'm a huge fan of TV, movies, and pop culture stuff in general. Movies and TV are probably as big an influence on my writing and storytelling as books are. So I thought for my guest post I'd list some of my favorite shows. These aren't like, my favorite shows EVER or anything like that. Just a bunch of relatively recent stuff that I've seen and enjoyed and/or ones that have influenced me along the way.
1. LOST (One of my favorite TV shows--especially the first 3 seasons, although I hung in there until the end! But I really loved those first 3 seasons the most. Great characters, great storylines, great relationships, great ideas. And those flashbacks! For a while it was one of the best shows around).
2. MAD MEN (Definitely not an influence on my writing, but still a great show. I almost quit watching after the first half of the first season because it was so slow, but my husband convinced me to keep going. I feel like the show just gets better and better over the years. Don Draper is such a great example of a really screwed-up character who remains completely watchable and charismatic).
3. FIREFLY (why why why did this get canceled?? This has got to be the best show that ever got cancelled so quickly, or at least one of them. Joss Whedon is amazing--and it's great he finally got tons of success with THE AVENGERS. But I love FIREFLY way more. SERENITY was awesome too. Nathan Fillion is one of my favorite actors. I could watch him in anything).
4. BREAKING BAD (The weirder and darker and crazier it gets, the more I like it. Some of the storylines don't really work for me, but the characters/acting make up for it).
5. TRUE BLOOD (addictive!!! I don't think I need to even explain why this show is so much fun!!)
6. DOWNTON ABBEY (One of my favorite new shows. It's SO good! I love the setting and the characters. I could sit and watch this one endlessly. I've already watched the first 2 seasons three times each. I can't wait for the next season!)
PS. THE GUILTY PLEASURES: okay, okay so if I'm totally honest with you all (and myself), I should also admit that YES I often watch Jersey Shore, Real Housewives, Gossip Girl, and random reality stuff on MTV and elsewhere! Sometimes bad TV can be a lot of fun too!
THANK YOU JESSICA FOR HAVING ME ON YOUR BLOG!!! :)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank YOU Lisa for stopping by! How much do you all love the shows she picked? Seriously. I'm all about Mad Men. Mmmm....20's era dressed men.
*ahem* Now...it's GIVEAWAY TIME!
Up for grabs is a finished copy of The Forsaken.
Giveaway ends July 22, 2012.