Last year I had the chance to read Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach. I loved it so much, fell in love with Felton's voice so wholly, that I wrote a fangirl review. Little did I know that it would be quoted in the second book, Nothing Special!
Felton Reinstein thought he had it all-a great girlfriend, an athletic scholarship in the bag, and football friends he could totally count on. Wrong Like an elephant storming a house of cards, it all comes crashing down. And it's Felton's fault. Turns out his little brother has taken an impromptu road trip to Florida (aka desperate flight from all the talented people) to make a bid for stardom (aka fronting a hotel rock band with escapees from a retirement community). What's a big brother to do but help pick up the pieces, even if it means giving up all the status, all the glory and once again facing a life of nothing special.
Lucky for me, I had the opportunity to interview Geoff Herbach, who is hilarious by the way. He also brought along a giveaway so make sure to read down and giggle away!
I like the color orange. I would not use it to describe an orange, but maybe the sunrise when you're on an airplane. That's a good looking color.
2) How was Felton born as a character? Did you draw inspiration from people you know?
Felton has a terrible voice in his head that definitely comes from me.
I drew a lot from my son who grew fast. I knew a lot of kids growing up who didn't seem protected by adults and mostly he comes from them.
3) Important question of the day: What is your favorite snack food?
I love crackers and cheese. I will eat all the Wheat Thins and cheese in the world.
4) What would you say to the inspiring writers out there?
It often takes a long time to get where you want to go. Don't stop because it's taking a long time. Keep working and keep loving your characters. That's the way to do it!
5) Finally, a bit of a challenge. You need to leave your house in an emergency and you can only grab 3 things to take with you. What items do you choose?
1) My phone! It has some pretty good games on it. Also, it has everything I really need to survive as long as I don't have to hunt for food. 2) My pants. I have nightmares of being pant-less in public. I don't want to be without my pants. 3) Bottle opener, in case I'm offered some Mexican Coca-Cola. That stuff is delicious.
Ready to win? One winner will take home their very own copy of Nothing Special. You must be in the U.S. or Canada to win! Giveaway will end on June 4, 2012. Good luck!